Tar Barrels
The village of Ottery St Catchpole mentioned in Harry Potter is believed to be inspired by Ottery St Mary in Devon, but nothing in the Harry Potter books in nearly as strange and unbelievable as this. Ever year on November the 5th a bunch of nutters carry flaming barrels around the streets. Unbelievably another bunch of nutters that make the first lot look quite sane pack the streets and get in their way. This website explains more. Of course I took a camera just to prove this isn't a hoax, here are the photos.

1 Comments:
Hmm, I was one of the second lot of nutters you mention most years when I was at Exeter. I'd forgotten how frightening it was - the first year I went I foolishly pushed to the front to see what was going on! How stupid was that as you can't get away from the fire coming towards you for all the crowd behind... Ho hum, happy (if a little scary) memories...
By
Katie, at 3:47 pm
Post a Comment
<< Home