Sarah & Grahame

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Silverstone


DSC_0013

I finally got organised an took my Red Letter Day experience at Silverstone. We were given a briefing regarding cornering, lack of driver aids, likely hood of oversteer etc before being allowed onto the track.



The track was a small triangle in the middle of the main silverstone track. We were organised into three groups of four each group following an audi road car round to get the feel of the cars. It all started very slowly and gradually sped up as familiarity increased. Then into the pits to change the order of following the road car for a second round of familiarisation.



Back into the pits before going around at your own pace (hopefully slightly faster than the car in front). Now the fun starts trying to make the most of the short straights. The car was a formula first, I'm not sure of the exact specification but we were told that they would reach about 90 at the end of the straight (not that quick but great fun all the same).



A great time was had passing as many people as possible, I must confess I did manage to fall off the track at one point but you really do have to find the limit. All too quickly it was over and time to return to the pits. It was at this point I realised how hot it was in the cockpit and how much my leg and ankle ached from the breaking.



Would I do it again? No - only because there is an advanced course on a bigger circuit with faster cars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home