Sarah & Grahame

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Norman Lockyer

Time to dust off the blog, I have been meaning to do this for ages. It just needed something sufficiently interesting for me to write about. Saturday it happened. I visited the Norman Lockyer Observatory for an introduction to astronomy.

What a fantastic day. It started with a viewing in the planetarium and continued with an introduction to star maps. We continued with a look at the sun and the moon and a description of the planets. This was followed by a look at nebulae and galaxies. The final theory for the day was a look at telescopes and lenses. This initially seemed rather too reminiscent of A level physics for my liking but with a major difference it was interesting.

Finally we went on a tour of the historic telescopes including the instrument completed in 1871 that had a spectrometer attached and was used in the discovery of helium. It is amazing that it is now used alot by the junor section.

1 Comments:

  • It is really interesting there isn't it? I went on a trip there when I was at Uni with Phys Soc.

    By Blogger Katie, at 8:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home